Visual Arts Department
The visual arts program at Pius XI Catholic High School is recognized for its excellence both regionally and nationwide. Pius XI visual art scholars are routinely offered more than $3 million in college scholarships each year and continue onto the finest arts colleges in the country including: The Rhode Island School of Design, the Maryland Institute College of Art, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Parsons School of Design and more! In the past eight years alone, the program has produced 11 YoungArts National Finalists, seven National Scholastic Arts Portfolio Gold Medal winners, five Presidential Scholars and more than 100 National Scholastic Silver Portfolio Winners.
“Learning to think creatively in one discipline opens the door to understanding creative thinking in all disciplines. We believe it is the creative thinkers among us who will become the visionaries of tomorrow.”
Visual Arts Program is Intentionally Designed to:
- Help students recognize that art is primarily a means of communication.
- Empower students with the ability to communicate visually with honesty and accuracy by giving them the necessary thinking and technical skills to discover their own voice.
- Allow students to develop a positive way to express themselves and grow as global citizens.
- Help students to respond thoughtfully, analytically, sensitively and critically to the voice of others.
- Help students interact intelligently and responsibly with a culture that is increasingly becoming more visually adept.
- Encourage students to formulate their own problems and to work independently.
- Art Fundamentals
- Design: Introduction to Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
- Figure Drawing
- Experimental Drawing
- Fibers, Fashion Construction and Design
- Painting 1
- Photography 1
- Photography 2: New Genres
- The Context of Western Culture: 1700 – Present
- Special Projects in Art
- AP Art Portfolio Preparation
- AP Studio Art – 11
- AP Studio Art – 12
Visual Arts Faculty
Catherine Burnett (Department Chairperson): firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Dretzka: email@example.com
Patricia Frederick: firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Gyland: email@example.com
Kevin Jennings: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Mulhern: email@example.com
Devan Schneider: firstname.lastname@example.org
Will Swenson: email@example.com