AVID. Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID is a nationally recognized system and Pius XI is the only private high school in the Milwaukee area where it’s fully implemented.
“Students in AVID are actively engaged in college preparatory activities and expected to take rigorous classes. AVID provides the support and resources they need to be successful.“
AVID is researched based and focused on best practices in Reading, Writing, Collaboration, and Organization.
Through AVID, Pius XI has developed a strong system of student-centered strategies designed to actively engage our scholars in their own learning. As a result, students are positioned for success in Advanced Placement and Honors Courses.
Since implementing AVID, Pius XI has developed structures and strategies that further improved academic achievement by creating a culture of motivation, self-discipline, goal setting and positive morale.
AVID School-Wide is Designed to:
- Provide students a variety of social and academic structures that include instruction to develop the skills to study, read, and think critically.
- Help motivate students and their families to develop educational and career goals.
- Improve the quality of teachers instruction and school leadership.
An elective AVID class is available for students who desire more intensive support.
AVID Elective Course is Designed to:
- Teach disciplined study and organizational habits such as note taking , daily note review, and incorporation of new understanding into previous knowledge.
- Provide the opportunity for focused practice of these habits.
- Support students in higher level thinking, problem solving and collaboration to improve their understanding of specific concepts through focused tutorials.
For more information, please contact Jason Gonzalez, our AVID Coordinator.