Landmarks of Growth and Success
As years passed, an ever-increasing student population necessitated larger facilities. The original section of the current building opened in September 1949. A six-story addition was completed in the spring of 1957.
In fall of 1998, construction and renovation of the existing space yielded a new library media center, chapel, office space, and multi-purpose lobby area. Plus a new home for family and consumer education classes emerged along with an enhanced audio-visual center (complete with a recording studio), and 11 new science labs/classrooms.
Pius XI added a state-of-the-art field house in the fall of 2003, including a 1,600-seat gymnasium with practice, teaching and training space to accommodate 57 teams playing 23 sports; fitness and training space for students, staff, families and alumni; and community access for competitions and events.
When the Father Robert V. Carney Performing Arts Center was finished in 2012, it became the permanent home of the Wendy Joy Lindsey Theater. Seating 500 patrons within an intimate setting, the theater is buffeted by a Lares Sound System to ensure acoustic perfection for every style of performance.
Two impressive visual arts galleries anchor the performing arts center, The Joseph and Harriet Kern Gallery and the Carron Family Gallery. The galleries play host to alumni and student art shows throughout the year.