At Pius XI, students experience hands-on scientific inquiry, through which they study the natural world and propose explanations based on real evidence. Through labs and activities that both integrate and connect the major areas of science, students learn to understand that science is an on-going process of inquiry rather than merely an accumulation of unrelated facts.
The Science Department focuses on the use of technology to give students real world experiences in collecting and analyzing data to come to conclusions and solve problems.
The Science Program is Designed to:
- Enable students to practice and use scientific inquiry, creativity and knowledge to ask testable questions, predict outcomes, design and perform experiments and draw conclusions.
- Give students the tools to apply new knowledge to generate and assess problems, solving them with increasing frequency and complexity.
- Perform experiments by gathering, analyzing, and communicating data – using modern technology and other methods – thus developing problem solving skills that they can apply to other areas of their lives.
- Provide students with various experiences to use technology for the acquisition, analysis and presentation of data.
- Enable students to use their knowledge and understanding on the natural world to serve as scientifically, socially and environmentally responsible citizens.
- Be taken for three years at a minimum. Students may decide to pursue a core science curriculum or may customize the science curriculum in consultation with their current science teacher.
- The three years must consist of Biology and two additional science credits.
- Biology, Environmental Science and Physics are offered at the Advanced Placement level for college credit.
- AP Biology
- AP Physics
- Physical Science
- PLTW: Principles of Biomedical Science
- PLTW: Human Body Systems
- Processes of Planet Earth (POPE)
- Environmental Science
- AP Environmental Science
- Special Projects in Science
Catherine Zurawski (Department Chair): email@example.com
Mark Baitinger: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Brown: email@example.com
Jamie Groark: firstname.lastname@example.org
Batya Kleen: email@example.com
Patty Hupfer Riedel: firstname.lastname@example.org
Devone Smith: email@example.com
Zorcia Zivkovic: firstname.lastname@example.org