Social Sciences Department
The social sciences program at Pius XI Catholic High School offers a wide variety of courses intended to inform, challenge, and shape our students’ world views. Courses offer opportunities for students to think critically about the world around them, as well as develop the solutions necessary to make positive changes in their communities.
Students are required to take 3.0 credits of Social Sciences to graduate. Requirements include one semester of Foundations of American Government or Honors Government, two semesters of either United States History or AP United States History, and one semester of Economics or AP Macroeconomics.
“Students who attend the Gettysburg trip, have an increased appreciation of US history which is continually demonstrated in the classroom upon their return.”
The Social Sciences Program is Designed to Enable Students to:
- Develop the abilities to identify, describe, assess, interpret, and evaluate sources and ideas through multiple lenses within the Social Sciences.
- Challenge the perceptions of reality and create a fundamental understanding of economic, political, historical, social, and psychological forces that shape our world.
- Cultivate an active commitment to social justice and an improved global community.
- Develop the skills to communicate through written, spoken and technological means, and improve critical thinking skills.
- Explore the Social Sciences outside of the classroom through travel to Gettysburg, Chicago Art Museums, and Milwaukee City Hall.
- Become involved in competitions such as the Wisconsin Stock Market Game, The State Finance, and Investment Quiz Bowl.
- Participate in in-school events such as Little Kids Day and the Holocaust Outreach Project.
Social Sciences Faculty
Roger Radke (Department Chair): firstname.lastname@example.org
Rick Carpenter: email@example.com
Joel Claassen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amanda Kaun: email@example.com
Alan McCauley: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jake Nowak: email@example.com
Ruth Regent-Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Talsky: email@example.com