The world needs great writers – and our curriculum is designed to prepare our students to become them.
We are proud to offer challenging courses that encourage students to develop critical thinking skills, cohesive word crafting, and exquisite grammar.
“Our first goal is to hone students ability to craft a variety of documents with clarity, voice, organization, purpose and audience in mind.”
The English Program is Designed to Enable Students to:
- Use active reading strategies to read, analyze, and synthesize a variety of texts.
- Define literary devices, identify them in text, and extrapolate the purpose and effect of literary devices on a text as a whole.
- Derive original and relevant theme statements from complex texts.
- Use textual evidence to defend arguments and analysis – in both written and oral situations.
- Develop the oral communication skills necessary to be successful in presentations, debates, large group discussions, small group discussions and performances.
- After sophomore year, students are given the unique opportunity to choose English courses which accommodate their interests – and hone particular skills and talents.
- Foundations in Composition and American Literature
- Accelerated Foundations in Composition and American Literature
- Themes in World Mythology
- Genres of Writing
- Contemporary Literature
- 20th Century Literature and Theory
- Advanced Writing
- Life Themes in Literature
- Interpretations of Popular Literature
- World Literature
- Capstone: Cultural Perspectives in Non-fiction
- AP English Literature and Composition
- Creative Writing
- Topics in Literature