The Mathematics program at Pius XI provides a high level of rigor through best practices. In this department, students learn the analytical and quantitative skills necessary for them to succeed in a 21st century economy.
Most students will begin in one of three classes: Accelerated Algebra, Algebra or Pre-Algebra. Incoming students can be placed into Accelerated Geometry upon successful completion of the Pius XI Algebra Skills Test.
Students are reminded that for those classes requiring a calculator, they need to purchase a TI-84+ (preferred) or a TI-84 Silver Edition Graphing Calculator.
“Preparation for the ACT is integrated throughout the math curriculum to provide students the greatest opportunity to perform at a high level on this test.”
- Median test scores for Pius XI students on the AP Calculus exam were 4 out of a possible 5.
- 74% of the students taking the Advanced Placement exam received a score of 3 or higher.
- The math department was awarded a Phi Delta Kappa – Innovation and Impact Grant to integrate the use of MATLAB (a programming language for numerical computing) into junior level courses.
- Pius XI was one of only three schools chosen nationally for this grant.
- Technology is incorporated into all Geometry courses through the use of Geometer’s Sketchpad.
- The Pius XI Math Club – the Mathletes – participate in a variety of competitions including Trig Star and Wisconsin Math League contests.
- Prospective students are encouraged to participate in the 8th Grade Math Scholarship Competition.
The Math Program Enables Students to Develop the Ability to:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Recognize regularity in repeated reasoning.
- Algebra 1
- Accelerated Algebra 1
- Accelerated Geometry
- Honors Math 3
- Algebra and Trigonometry
- Algebra 2
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Statistics
Mary Eldredge (Department Chair): firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheryl Brenner: email@example.com
Catherine Drasch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard Rischer: email@example.com
Sara Glodoski: firstname.lastname@example.org
Courtney Kohn: email@example.com
John Stodoloa: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aubrey Warner: email@example.com